Disclosure:

Please disregard this site and proceed
here if you are averse to any of the following:

garlic, rare meat, fine cheeses, fresh assorted vegetables, sour cream, butter, French bread, herbes de Provence, dumplings, pesto, doner kebabs, fresh seafood, ginger.

It is only intended for the refined set of taste buds.


Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Merits of the Clinton A & P

Now, before I get started on food and its splendor, let's get the supermarket talk out of the way first. I know what you're asking yourselves, particularly if you frequent the Clinton A & P, a dilapidated, understocked, and wholly inferior supermarket, on a regular basis: What merits could the Ginger King, a culinary elitist, possibly be talking about? Maybe you're disappointed that I would even consider dedicating part of a post to such a seamy establishment. And your disappointment may be warranted. All I ask is you hear me out first before leaving this site for good.

The Clinton A & P does suck in almost every way. To take it a step further, some may wonder how, in fact, this particular branch attracts even a single customer, considering ShopRite's presence a mile down the road. Well, I recently took a trip there in search of the answer to this very question.

As I walked across the cracked parking lot, through the dirty sliding doors, and into the funny-smelling supermarket, I certainly didn't expect to find any merits easily. No, I had to dig deeper, to scratch below the surface, to observe this ugly entity in ways that most people don't. First, I headed for the produce area, a relatively-sparse collection of veggies and fruits. Nope, no merits here. But as I was rounding the corner and heading to the meat aisle (a personal favorite section of any market), a nondescript, lonely cart caught my eye. Filling the shelves were marked-down, shrink-wrapped packages of different fruits and vegetables. I thought to myself, "What is going on here? Why is this produce separated from the rest, seemingly left abandoned, like a ginger baby by his family?" And then it struck me. These vegetables WERE rejects, left on this cart in unflattering packages for one last-gasp chance to convince someone to buy them before rotting away the rest of their existences in a dumpster.

To the untrained eye and the ignorant mind, this produce, like a ginger kid, might seem unattractive or thought of as "rotten." It and the Ginger King, however, were in luck on that day. I piled my cart high with packages of avocados, red peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, and tomatoes, all of which were perfectly-ripened and three dollars apiece. I exited the A & P excited about my bounty and the little-known cart that really does deserve more consumer attention.



That night, Mom, Emily, and I concocted a magnificent Mexican feast with the "rotten" veggies from the A & P. The following is a series of photos detailing our efforts and the final outcome.

Red peppers, mid-sauteeing.


I am completely devoted to consuming avocados on a regular basis. These photos of guacamole preparation/consumption really get me salivating. Wow. Take a close look at the texture and tell me you don't crave some.







Several pounds of beef chuck with added chopped vidalia onion, dark red kidney beans, crushed garlic, and taco seasoning. The smell of this simmering amalgam caused me to buckle at the knees.


And the final spread. All thanks to the Clinton A & P. Just goes to show, you can't judge a supermarket by its outer appearance. Delights abound in the most unexpected places.







Side note: My mom's cherry wood mixing tool is indispensable. It is substantial and solid yet light and agile, a perfect combination. I hope to see one under the tree next Christmas.



4 comments:

  1. Agree: A&P does suck...yours was a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the store has made GREAT improvements. Although the four walls havent changed, the quality of work within them has!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AGREED!!! They also installed a NEW frozen food department and deli cases!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen the new improvements but next time I'm in the area I'll definitely stop by. Great excitement!

    ReplyDelete