Disclosure:

Please disregard this site and proceed
here if you are averse to any of the following:

garlic, rare meat, fine cheeses, fresh assorted vegetables, sour cream, butter, French bread, herbes de Provence, dumplings, pesto, doner kebabs, fresh seafood, ginger.

It is only intended for the refined set of taste buds.


Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Thanksgiving Review

Since it is undoubtedly one of the best events of the year, I've decided it's only right to share the feast that was Smith Thanksgiving '08. Every year, I am left blown away by and bloated from my family's cooking; maybe it is the spices or the freshness of the ingredients that makes the food so good. But what really sets this meal apart from all the others is the tangible Pilgrim spirit evident at every Thanksgiving dinner I have attended. Thanksgiving is a time to enjoy to life but, more specifically, a time to consider what makes life so great in the first place. Fine food and family and friends certainly make me smile.

I only had to travel from my bedroom to the dining room for this past year's Thanksgiving. Not only that, I managed to shirk all responsibility for cooking, leaving it for my mother. She really outdid herself. Alright, let's get to the bird.

Baked to perfection, this moist, juicy, tender, twenty-pounder was stuffed to the gills with succulent homemade stuffing. The skin spoke for itself.


It was an incredible spread with every imaginable dish.

Sauteed turnips, and a pot of creamed onions, possibly my favorite side dish. If you've never had these, you are missing out on a real delight.


Sauteed brussel sprouts.


Mashed sweet potatoes, topped with brown sugar.


My first plateful, a sample of all the delectable choices, should have won some sort of diversity award - 9 different dishes (mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, acorn squash, turnips, brussel sprouts, green beans, creamed onions, stuffing, and turkey) plus gravy. This is true art.


Although I generally refrain from partaking in dessert, Thanksgiving is a day when I give into all urges to consume. Vanilla ice cream complemented the homemade pumpkin and apple pies, both made with fresh ingredients. Also present were homemade mincemeat pies and sugared dates. What a way to literally top off an unforgettable meal.


Please contact my mom for answers to all questions regarding cooking and Pilgrim culture. I hope you enjoy next Thanksgiving as much as I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment